Though it isn’t possible to change a gene, there are things that can be done to minimize the potential for problems or to help avoid problems in children (before and during the mother’s pregnancy).
Gut health: Especially when the body has impaired ability to use certain nutrients, it is important to focus on gut health so that the body can absorb the nutrients from food as effectively as possible. It is recommended to avoid antibacterial soaps, vegetable oils, processed grains and refined sugars and support my gut with fermented foods and food containing natural probiotics
Avoiding environmental toxins as much as possible: Those with an MTHFR gene defect have an impaired ability to eliminate toxins. Avoid plastics, chemicals in beauty supplies and cleaning products, and scented candles, which can all release harmful chemicals. We use houseplants and other methods of cleaning our indoor air, and filter our drinking and shower water.
- Not taking anything with Folic Acid. Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate that cannot be used by those with a MTHFR defect and which can be very toxic. Avoid any supplements with folic acid and only take L-MTHF forms, which are the methylated forms that the body can use directly. You may want to take a methyl-B12 to help the body use L-MTHF.
- Lots of Leafy Greens: Dark leafy greens contain the natural form of folate that those with a gene defect need. As if we needed more reasons that it is important to consume green veggies… I try to work in green veggies at every meal.
- Avoid Processed Foods: Again, as if anyone needed another reason to avoid processed foods… Many processed foods have synthetic folic acid added, fortified food too.
- Avoiding things that can block or deplete folate levels: Certain
- medications, including hormonal contraceptives can interfere with folate levels, and OTC drugs like antacids can interfere with B-12 absorption.
- Avoiding Heavy Metals: Heavy metals in diet or environment are harder to remove from the body for those with a gene defect, so be careful to avoid these.
- Help a Body Out: Since those with a MTHFR defect have an impaired ability to eliminate toxins, Do things to help support the body in this process, such as: Infrared Sauna, drinking enough water, dry skin brushing and exercise (sweating).
adapted from www.wellnessmama.com